Baobab Wisdom Blog
|Posted on October 16, 2018 at 11:05 PM||comments (0)|
Sucess Series: Meet Mary!
How have you benefited from the Baobab Village experience?
For years, I've struggled maintaining a healthy weight. Baobab has provided me with a challenging workout four times a week along with nutrition coaching. Together, it's been a winning formula. I'm losing weight slowly, but I'm keeping it off!
What is your favorite part about Baobab Village?
Being an example for my clients. At the same time, I was providing care for a dear mother-in-law and struggling to get past an emotional barrier that was preventing me from getting my book published. Thanks to my wellness journey thus far with Baobab, I am not only physically healthier, I am less stressed (even having lost my mother-in-law a few months ago). I continue striving to grow my business and my book, https://www.amazon.com/Right-Passage-Surviving-Battling-Bullies/dp/1640850821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539797563&sr=8-1&keywords=Right+of+Passage%3A+Surviving+Shame+and+Battling+Bullies+of+All+Ages&dpID=51c8R3-FuLL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch" target="_blank">Right of Passage: Surviving Shame and Battling Bullies of All Ages, was published on October 1. I am not certain I could have finished my book without the physical, mental and emotional encouragement from my Baobab family.
Why should people join Baobab Village Wellness Group?
Pia Fitzgerald makes fitness fun! Pia is also an awesome coach. She encourages us which causes us to encourage each other. There is no competition, no body shaming, no whining. We are all there to get stronger and ultimately be the best version of ourselves. And thanks to the atmosphere Pia and Craig have created, that's a very achievable goal!
Starting a wellness transformation takes courage. I encourage anyone who's let excuses defeat your past wellness efforts, to get a new internal MP3 player. If I can do this, you can do this. It's one day at a time. You just have to start flexing that courage muscle and take the first step, because you deserve it!
|Posted on October 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM||comments (0)|
What Does Courage Mean to You?
How were you courageous last week?
Don't forget to send us an update ([email protected]) and let us know how you're doing with the Seven Weeks of COURAGE Wellness Challenge.
It's not too late to join! If you want to commit to being courageous click the link below to find out more about this unique wellness challenge.
|Posted on October 2, 2018 at 9:05 PM||comments (0)|
Seven Weeks of COURAGE Wellness Challenge: Make COURAGE Count!
Why An Act of Courage Challenge for Wellness? Great question!
People won’t do the necessary work to live a healthy, peaceful life of freedom and abundance because there is an area (or more) where they are choosing to NOT execute courage.
Top 9 Areas to Execute Courage
1. It takes courage to go home at 5:00 PM (or whenever your workday truly ends), especially when your exercise class begins at 6:00.
2. It takes courage to ask your friends to do something social that lines up with the vision for your body.
3. It takes courage to turn your phone off for an hour and just BE with yourself.
4. It takes courage to redirect your spending and to OWN the parts attached to fulfilling an emotional void.
5. It takes courage to simply take a day to rest and rejuvenate.
6. It takes courage to push past perceived obstacles to losing weight.
7. It takes courage to envision your new HEALTHY body and NOT worry about what others might think.
8. It takes courage to throw away the distorted view of what your healthy body is and not rely on euphemisms to justify what is actually not ideal weight.
9. It takes courage to love yourself UNCONDITIONALLY and to allow yourself to receive all the great things with your name on it!
We invite you to join us as we strengthen our courage muscle. You can participate right where you are.
- Each week you will execute an act of courage in an area where you perhaps struggle in or would like to see some progress.Example: You would like to grow spiritually and have never participated in a Bible Study. The act of courage might be signing up to be a part of study with a group you may not have ever met.Example: You are NOT intentional about having fun. The act of courage may be to do something fun or wild and fun this weekend.
- The challenge is 7 weeks beginning this week; however, you are to increase your acts of courage based on the week number. For example, week 4 of the challenge requires you to execute 4 acts of courage.
- We are showcasing an Acts of Courage Tree and want to highlight your acts of courage as FRUIT and ENCOURAGEMENT for others. You can be as vague or descriptive as you like. Just put your name on the index card, the date, and the gist or title of the act of courage.
- Journal. If you don’t keep a journal, THIS would be a GREAT time to do so! You are about to go to the Next Level by participating in this challenge.
- Bounus Exercise: Using colored pencils, crayon or marker (if available), complete the wellness wheel by shading in the pie slices based upon level of satisfaction. The further out to the edge of the pie, the more satisfied you are with the area.
Here is what we believe will happen if you participate:
1. You will become stronger, more resilient.
2. You will walk with more confidence, poise, and grace.
3. You will finally complete unfinished business.
4. You will inspire many others.
5. You will have more energy, excitement and zeal for life.
6. YOU WILL GO TO THE NEXT LEVEL!! And we join you there in celebration!!
Let’s go! Wake up and strengthen that courage muscle!!!! You DESERVE to Win!
|Posted on August 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM||comments (1)|
Has Your Current Lifestyle Expired?
Many things have an expiration date worthy to be noticed such as milk, eggs, meat, and medicine.
Some products have suggested expiration dates to protect from lawsuits; however, the true date is often later.
No matter what the actual expiration date, it is inevitable that at some point, the products usefulness will expire and have to be purged.
When it comes to feeling good and living healthy inside and out, many people act like there is no expiration date to living OPPOSITE of this state. Many walk out the lie that it is okay to be unhealthy, it is okay to NOT feel good about self or to CELEBRATE self, and that it is okay to put others before self even when it comes to personal wellness.
If you are living fearful of what it means to exercise consistent healthy habits or fearful of what you may have to give up to do so, then hear this:
This MINDSET and way of living has EXPIRED!
Stop telling yourself you have tomorrow when you really don’t know if you do.
It is time for a mindset shift and time to activate all of what it takes to live the life of abundance you DESERVE.
This way of living has a long shelf life--NO EXPIRATION DATE—and is waiting for you to walk fully in it.
|Posted on August 1, 2018 at 11:40 AM||comments (0)|
Congratulations Coach Ayeshia!
Baobab Village is excited to announce that Ayeshia Pompey will join our team as a Wellness Coach!
Coach Ayeshia is now a certified ACE Health Coach which will allow her to work with clients interested in making healthy lifestyle changes.Special opportunities to work with Coach Ayeshia will announced soon.
What inspired you to become a health coach?
Implementing healthy lifestyle changes has changed the way I live life. I want to encourage and show others (especially mothers) that they CAN take time for self care and still have rimw for family and work responsibilities.
What do you hope clients will learn by working with you?
Health and wellness is a lifestyle. It's not a one time quick fix. You have to make healthy choices everyday in order to reap the benefits. Will you always make the best choices? No, but that's okay. It's a journey and as long as you're committed to staying on the journey your life will reflect that.
Share lessons you've learned along your wellness journey.
- It's okay to have boundaries. It's okay to say "no".
- Self care is essential.
- Wellness isn't just about the physical. Your physical health is just a manestifation of spiritual, emotional, and mental health issues. You can't address one without affecting the others.
|Posted on July 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM||comments (0)|
5 Tips to Having a Guilt Free Vacation
It happens all the time. You come back from vacation feeling guilty about the food choices you made, wishing you had made better decisions.
Well, get ready to release the guilt! We're giving you 5 tips to help you stay on track with healthy eating while away from home.
1) PLAN. Take some time to think about what your meals will look like on vacation. Will you have access to a kitchen? Will you be eating out every day? What days will you be in the car or on a plane and need to have healthy protein snacks readily available?
Write a list of healthy foods that you can purchase before your trip or when you get to your destination.
2) SHOP. Purchase healthy snack items to take with you. The following items are an example for foods that travel well:
• Tuna in a pouch
• Hard Boiled eggs
• Single serving protein powder
• Bottled water
These items will help fill in the gaps when you're hungry so you won't be tempted to reach for a junk food.
3) PACK. Make sure to pack your food! Invest in a lunch tote or travel cooler to store all your food items and have it easily accessible.
4) CHOOSE WISELY. Eating is a part of the vacation experience. You're visiting new restaurants and possible trying new foods. This DOESN'T mean you can't make good choices.
If you know you're going to an awesome steak house for dinner make sure you're having lean protein, veggies, and healthy carbs during your other meals. If you want to have desert there's nothing wrong with sharing or even ordering a child sized portion.
5) ENJOY. You're on vacation, enjoy it! You may not hit all your macros or get a workout in everyday and it's okay. Treasure this time with family and friends. Rest, relax and recharge so you can come back even more committed to your goals.
If you want to learn more about eating on the go and while traveling check out our Wellness Coaching Services here. Team Baobab would love to help you reach your goals!
|Posted on May 30, 2018 at 4:00 PM||comments (0)|
Eat This, Not That! Tips for Creating Healthy Summer Salads.
As the weather heats up your appetite might change and you may start craving lighter, less dense food options. Many will look to salads as a healthy option but not all salads are created equal.Don't get caught eating salads loaded with extra sugar and fat taking you further away from your nutrition goals.
When preparing salads at home or eating out be sure to follow these healthy summer salad tips.
Healthy Summer Salad Tips
- Choose dark greens for your base. Greens such as kale, spinach, and romaine lettuce have more fiber, folate, and vitamin c compared to iceberg lettuce.
- Add protein. Proteins such as chicken breast, salmon, and tuna make a great addition. If you’re eating out make sure to ask for double protein because more than likely the amount included won’t be enough.
- Skip the cheese but add walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds or pumpkins seeds to include a good source of fat. Remember to measure out your portions.
- Go easy on the salad dressing. Try to find a salad dressing that’s low in sugar and fat. If possible make your own. When eating out it’s best to ask for the dressing on the side so you can control how much goes on your salad.
|Posted on May 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM||comments (0)|
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
Looking for an easy food swap recipe to share at summer cookouts? Look no further. This chocolate avocado pudding recipe puts a healthier twist on a classic food. We dare you to give your friends a taste before you tell them the secret ingredient!
2 ripe medium avocados , peeled and chopped
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey or raw agave nectar (or other sweetener of choice)
1/2 cup milk (regular or almond milk, coconut, etc.)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend all ingredients, until smooth, in a blender, food processor or using a hand held mixer. Serve immediately, or chill first.
Recipe originally posted on Seeded at the Table
|Posted on May 1, 2018 at 4:00 PM||comments (1)|
Healthier Food Options for Everyday Foods
Want a quick and easy way to get started with healthier eating? Try food swaps!
We have given you a list of everyday foods that can be swapped out for healthier options. Remember just making small changes consistently can lead to big results.
Want to learn more about making healthier food choices? Call for more information about our Wellness Coaching Service. Our wellness coaching program will help you curb cravings, eat fulfilling and tasty meals, lose weight, manage stress, and achieve the goals you desire as you live your best life.
We look forward to helping you reach your goals!
|Posted on April 24, 2018 at 8:40 PM||comments (0)|
Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns Food Swap
This week's food swap is spaghetti squash hash browns. These hash browns will be a great addition to any Saturday morning brunch menu. Be sure to try this healthier version of an old favorite that will be sure to delight your taste buds.
- 2 cups cooked & shredded spaghetti squash (about 1/2 small cooked squash)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive oil is a good choice)
- Seasoning to taste
Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat.
Press the water out of the squash with paper towels.
Form little patties (2 tablespoons or so) by pressing the squash firmly between your palms.
Place the patties gently on the warmed skillet and let cook for 5-7 minutes per side. Only flip these once if possible to get the nice browned effect.
Transfer to paper towels to drain, then serve warm. Sprinkle with some salt if desired.
Recipe originally posted on The Honour System