Baobab Wisdom Blog
Latest in Total Wellness Ideas from Baobab Village Wellness Group
Don't miss your FREE copy the bi-weekly
Baobab Village Wellness Group believes in continually sharing information to help people live well along with the services we provide.
This is Pia BEFORE stress-free living.
This is Pia living a lifestyle of wellness (which does not have room for stress)!
Do you want to know what it takes to get out of the bondage of stress-filled living? Contact us today at 614-306-0532 or by emailing us at [email protected]
|Posted on November 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM||comments (2)|
Try this for Fun--- Holiday Fitness Challenge
One of the best things you can do this week and throughout the holiday season is to EXERCISE, especially when you don’t feel like it.
Let’s face it: The struggle is real to workout when it is cold and dark outside. The shortened days WILL impact your energy level. Exercising is a tool to combat the blahs of winter as it releases the feel good hormones that elevates mood and helps you better accomplish tasks.
If this seems counterintuitive, then we dare you to try it this week! In fact, consider launching a holiday fitness challenge with a reward at the end. Do not use the fitness challenge as a means of losing weight this week (unless you are FULLY checked-in for weight loss at that level). Instead, use the challenge as an opportunity to reap the following benefits:
• Relieve stress
• Release FEEL GOOD hormones
• Gain more energy
• Establish or build fitness momentum
• Opportunity to connect with community/friends
Fitness clients at Baobab Village Wellness Group will be taking on a Chip-Away style challenge where they have to complete a certain amount of REPS for each exercise (based on their fitness test) by the time we return on Monday. Everyone who completes the challenge will win a prize!
The cool thing is each person can determine the amount of reps they desire to do each day and “chip-away” at the goal amount.
Ex: 300 Step Ups-- 100 steps ups on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
Ex: 100 Push Ups-- 5 sets of 10 REPS on Thursday and 5 sets of 10 REPS on Saturday
Establish YOUR Holiday Fitness Challenge
Chip-Away Set Up
1. Pick 5 exercises you want to complete
2. Select the maximum amount of REPS you want to complete during the holiday week
3. Chip Away each day until you complete ALL REPS for ALL EXERCISES.
4. Celebrate your accomplishment! Reward yourself (not with food)!
5. Share your victory with others!
(CAUTION: For moves like squats and push-ups or any other resistance move, do them every OTHER day to allow for recovery EVEN during the short holiday season.)
Enjoy the holidays!
Baobab Village Wellness Group
|Posted on October 16, 2018 at 11:05 PM||comments (0)|
Sucess Series: Meet Mary!
How have you benefited from the Baobab Village experience?
For years, I've struggled maintaining a healthy weight. Baobab has provided me with a challenging workout four times a week along with nutrition coaching. Together, it's been a winning formula. I'm losing weight slowly, but I'm keeping it off!
What is your favorite part about Baobab Village?
Being an example for my clients. At the same time, I was providing care for a dear mother-in-law and struggling to get past an emotional barrier that was preventing me from getting my book published. Thanks to my wellness journey thus far with Baobab, I am not only physically healthier, I am less stressed (even having lost my mother-in-law a few months ago). I continue striving to grow my business and my book, https://www.amazon.com/Right-Passage-Surviving-Battling-Bullies/dp/1640850821/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539797563&sr=8-1&keywords=Right+of+Passage%3A+Surviving+Shame+and+Battling+Bullies+of+All+Ages&dpID=51c8R3-FuLL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch" target="_blank">Right of Passage: Surviving Shame and Battling Bullies of All Ages, was published on October 1. I am not certain I could have finished my book without the physical, mental and emotional encouragement from my Baobab family.
Why should people join Baobab Village Wellness Group?
Pia Fitzgerald makes fitness fun! Pia is also an awesome coach. She encourages us which causes us to encourage each other. There is no competition, no body shaming, no whining. We are all there to get stronger and ultimately be the best version of ourselves. And thanks to the atmosphere Pia and Craig have created, that's a very achievable goal!
Starting a wellness transformation takes courage. I encourage anyone who's let excuses defeat your past wellness efforts, to get a new internal MP3 player. If I can do this, you can do this. It's one day at a time. You just have to start flexing that courage muscle and take the first step, because you deserve it!
|Posted on October 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM||comments (0)|
What Does Courage Mean to You?
How were you courageous last week?
Don't forget to send us an update ([email protected]) and let us know how you're doing with the Seven Weeks of COURAGE Wellness Challenge.
It's not too late to join! If you want to commit to being courageous click the link below to find out more about this unique wellness challenge.
|Posted on October 2, 2018 at 9:05 PM||comments (0)|
Seven Weeks of COURAGE Wellness Challenge: Make COURAGE Count!
Why An Act of Courage Challenge for Wellness? Great question!
People won’t do the necessary work to live a healthy, peaceful life of freedom and abundance because there is an area (or more) where they are choosing to NOT execute courage.
Top 9 Areas to Execute Courage
1. It takes courage to go home at 5:00 PM (or whenever your workday truly ends), especially when your exercise class begins at 6:00.
2. It takes courage to ask your friends to do something social that lines up with the vision for your body.
3. It takes courage to turn your phone off for an hour and just BE with yourself.
4. It takes courage to redirect your spending and to OWN the parts attached to fulfilling an emotional void.
5. It takes courage to simply take a day to rest and rejuvenate.
6. It takes courage to push past perceived obstacles to losing weight.
7. It takes courage to envision your new HEALTHY body and NOT worry about what others might think.
8. It takes courage to throw away the distorted view of what your healthy body is and not rely on euphemisms to justify what is actually not ideal weight.
9. It takes courage to love yourself UNCONDITIONALLY and to allow yourself to receive all the great things with your name on it!
We invite you to join us as we strengthen our courage muscle. You can participate right where you are.
- Each week you will execute an act of courage in an area where you perhaps struggle in or would like to see some progress.Example: You would like to grow spiritually and have never participated in a Bible Study. The act of courage might be signing up to be a part of study with a group you may not have ever met.Example: You are NOT intentional about having fun. The act of courage may be to do something fun or wild and fun this weekend.
- The challenge is 7 weeks beginning this week; however, you are to increase your acts of courage based on the week number. For example, week 4 of the challenge requires you to execute 4 acts of courage.
- We are showcasing an Acts of Courage Tree and want to highlight your acts of courage as FRUIT and ENCOURAGEMENT for others. You can be as vague or descriptive as you like. Just put your name on the index card, the date, and the gist or title of the act of courage.
- Journal. If you don’t keep a journal, THIS would be a GREAT time to do so! You are about to go to the Next Level by participating in this challenge.
- Bounus Exercise: Using colored pencils, crayon or marker (if available), complete the wellness wheel by shading in the pie slices based upon level of satisfaction. The further out to the edge of the pie, the more satisfied you are with the area.
Here is what we believe will happen if you participate:
1. You will become stronger, more resilient.
2. You will walk with more confidence, poise, and grace.
3. You will finally complete unfinished business.
4. You will inspire many others.
5. You will have more energy, excitement and zeal for life.
6. YOU WILL GO TO THE NEXT LEVEL!! And we join you there in celebration!!
Let’s go! Wake up and strengthen that courage muscle!!!! You DESERVE to Win!
|Posted on August 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM||comments (1)|
Has Your Current Lifestyle Expired?
Many things have an expiration date worthy to be noticed such as milk, eggs, meat, and medicine.
Some products have suggested expiration dates to protect from lawsuits; however, the true date is often later.
No matter what the actual expiration date, it is inevitable that at some point, the products usefulness will expire and have to be purged.
When it comes to feeling good and living healthy inside and out, many people act like there is no expiration date to living OPPOSITE of this state. Many walk out the lie that it is okay to be unhealthy, it is okay to NOT feel good about self or to CELEBRATE self, and that it is okay to put others before self even when it comes to personal wellness.
If you are living fearful of what it means to exercise consistent healthy habits or fearful of what you may have to give up to do so, then hear this:
This MINDSET and way of living has EXPIRED!
Stop telling yourself you have tomorrow when you really don’t know if you do.
It is time for a mindset shift and time to activate all of what it takes to live the life of abundance you DESERVE.
This way of living has a long shelf life--NO EXPIRATION DATE—and is waiting for you to walk fully in it.
|Posted on August 26, 2018 at 9:50 PM||comments (0)|
The Road to Wellness: Which Direction Are You Going?
This is the month of transition and a great time to reflect to see which way to go. Take this brief wellness assessment to help you move down the road to wellness.
Select the section that best describes YOU at this time and use your journal to answer the corresponding questions.
Journaling is the key to accomplishing much! It serves as a place to store life’s “puzzle pieces” allowing you to go back and assemble for clarity on the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, and WHY’s of life. It is one of the most powerful tools for personal and professional development. Enjoy!
YOU ARE ACTIVELY walking the wellness road:
1. How have you changed for the better since you started your wellness journey?
2. Who in your circle has benefitted from your daily decisions to be healthy?
3. Identify 2-3 people who could benefit by learning more about what you do and be encouraged.
4. What is the next step to go to the next level with your wellness walk?
YOU DESIRE to walk the wellness road:
1. What change would like to see as a result of walking the wellness road?
2. Who in your circle will support you as you begin to make daily decisions to be healthy?
3. Identify 2-3 people who do NOT need to be in your circle (or not frequent in your circle) at this season as you pursue the lifestyle of total wellness.
4. What is the next step you need to take to begin the wellness journey?
YOU ARE NOT CONCERNED about wellness at this time:
1. What is holding you back?
2. What is your priority in this season?
3. What is one thing you can do daily to invest in your health?
4. When would you be ready to venture down the path to total wellness?
Wishing you all the best in this next season! Let us know HOW we can help you make it a great one!
|Posted on August 16, 2018 at 12:30 AM||comments (0)|
Back to School Season Causing You Stress?
From preschool to graduate school, students around the world are getting ready to go back to school. Transitioning from laid back summer days to the hustle and bustle of back to school season brings jammed packed schedules and added stress. While the stress of juggling different schedules, packing lunches, doing homework, meetings, and extracurricular activities can’t be completely avoided it can be managed.
Read below for 5 tips you can incorporate to reduce back to school stress.
1) Keep a family calendar so everyone knows what is happening and when.
2) Each Sunday review your family’s schedule for the week. This will give you a good opportunity to plan for any schedule changes or forgotten assignments and appointments.
3) Meal prep – cook larger meals on the weekends, freeze and then reheat during the week. This will help cut down on fast food dinners.
4) Chose outfits the night before. Ironing clothes at night will give you a few extra minutes to sleep in!
5) Delegate. YOU CAN’T DO IT ALL! Make your life easier by asking your family for help. Everyone in your household should have a list of task and chores they are responsible for. Children can help too. Even 3-year-olds can do simple chores. It may not be perfect but it’s done.
Incorporating these 5 tips will not only help you manage stress during back to school season but throughout the year.
Comment below and let us know how you're managing the stress of going back to school. We can't wait to hear from you.
|Posted on August 1, 2018 at 11:40 AM||comments (0)|
Congratulations Coach Ayeshia!
Baobab Village is excited to announce that Ayeshia Pompey will join our team as a Wellness Coach!
Coach Ayeshia is now a certified ACE Health Coach which will allow her to work with clients interested in making healthy lifestyle changes.Special opportunities to work with Coach Ayeshia will announced soon.
What inspired you to become a health coach?
Implementing healthy lifestyle changes has changed the way I live life. I want to encourage and show others (especially mothers) that they CAN take time for self care and still have rimw for family and work responsibilities.
What do you hope clients will learn by working with you?
Health and wellness is a lifestyle. It's not a one time quick fix. You have to make healthy choices everyday in order to reap the benefits. Will you always make the best choices? No, but that's okay. It's a journey and as long as you're committed to staying on the journey your life will reflect that.
Share lessons you've learned along your wellness journey.
- It's okay to have boundaries. It's okay to say "no".
- Self care is essential.
- Wellness isn't just about the physical. Your physical health is just a manestifation of spiritual, emotional, and mental health issues. You can't address one without affecting the others.
|Posted on July 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM||comments (0)|
5 Tips to Having a Guilt Free Vacation
It happens all the time. You come back from vacation feeling guilty about the food choices you made, wishing you had made better decisions.
Well, get ready to release the guilt! We're giving you 5 tips to help you stay on track with healthy eating while away from home.
1) PLAN. Take some time to think about what your meals will look like on vacation. Will you have access to a kitchen? Will you be eating out every day? What days will you be in the car or on a plane and need to have healthy protein snacks readily available?
Write a list of healthy foods that you can purchase before your trip or when you get to your destination.
2) SHOP. Purchase healthy snack items to take with you. The following items are an example for foods that travel well:
• Tuna in a pouch
• Hard Boiled eggs
• Single serving protein powder
• Bottled water
These items will help fill in the gaps when you're hungry so you won't be tempted to reach for a junk food.
3) PACK. Make sure to pack your food! Invest in a lunch tote or travel cooler to store all your food items and have it easily accessible.
4) CHOOSE WISELY. Eating is a part of the vacation experience. You're visiting new restaurants and possible trying new foods. This DOESN'T mean you can't make good choices.
If you know you're going to an awesome steak house for dinner make sure you're having lean protein, veggies, and healthy carbs during your other meals. If you want to have desert there's nothing wrong with sharing or even ordering a child sized portion.
5) ENJOY. You're on vacation, enjoy it! You may not hit all your macros or get a workout in everyday and it's okay. Treasure this time with family and friends. Rest, relax and recharge so you can come back even more committed to your goals.
If you want to learn more about eating on the go and while traveling check out our Wellness Coaching Services here. Team Baobab would love to help you reach your goals!
|Posted on May 30, 2018 at 4:00 PM||comments (0)|
Eat This, Not That! Tips for Creating Healthy Summer Salads.
As the weather heats up your appetite might change and you may start craving lighter, less dense food options. Many will look to salads as a healthy option but not all salads are created equal.Don't get caught eating salads loaded with extra sugar and fat taking you further away from your nutrition goals.
When preparing salads at home or eating out be sure to follow these healthy summer salad tips.
Healthy Summer Salad Tips
- Choose dark greens for your base. Greens such as kale, spinach, and romaine lettuce have more fiber, folate, and vitamin c compared to iceberg lettuce.
- Add protein. Proteins such as chicken breast, salmon, and tuna make a great addition. If you’re eating out make sure to ask for double protein because more than likely the amount included won’t be enough.
- Skip the cheese but add walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds or pumpkins seeds to include a good source of fat. Remember to measure out your portions.
- Go easy on the salad dressing. Try to find a salad dressing that’s low in sugar and fat. If possible make your own. When eating out it’s best to ask for the dressing on the side so you can control how much goes on your salad.